Sunday, March 3, 2013

Miscellany and Sundry

Part of the restoration is also fixing things that previous owners just didn't bother with. Like the fuel oil tank that was abandoned when the house was converted to electric. It should have been decommissioned but it wasn't so that's another thing we're doing. We'll also convert the furnace to gas but that's only because we want a gas range and the lines are free if you add a furnace. Most of the houses heat and cooling is done with a heat pump so the furnace won't see much use. The gas range, however, will see plenty.
Here the mitigation company fills the old tank with perlite. Safe at last!







Another thing that I always find curious is unused space. When we removed the chimney to the furnace I climbed up the opening and found this small space in the attic. Unused, no entrance anywhere and just begging to become something interesting. Both Judiaann and I remember secret little rooms in houses when we were kids so the plan is to make a ladder in the closet of one of the kids rooms that will lead up to their own secret fort. I'll probably divide off a section in our closet to be used for winter cloths and suitcases and such. We still carry the NYC mentality of using every last little inch for storage.

Future fort of Lucas and Nadia - I can't wait to surprise them with this. 

Finally there's the garage. A thing I've dreamt of most of my adult life or at least since I've owned my first real motorcycle. It's a small two car but with judicious use of space and lots of storage I should be able to get all my machine tools and the 6 or 7 motorcycles I have in there. It's important to get that working as all of the steelwork I plan on doing myself. Railings, a floating staircase, fireplace insert and hearth in addition to select pieces of furniture. I can pretty much make anything there so I can't wait to start fabricating for the house.

Outlets galore! The garage will have seven 220 outlets and fourteen 4-gang 120 outlets - yes, that's 62 places to plug things in.



No comments:

Post a Comment