Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Power and Light

So last week my friend Vince came over to help with the kitchen electrical and to sort the things that aren't up to code. There was plenty to sort. There was a sub panel in the bathroom (not code) that we took out and then we just started pulling wrong and non functional wires and anything that looked remotely suspect. Vince spent a lot of time going, "Wow, just wow. I can't even imagine how someone thought this was okay." I spent a lot of time thinking, "If I could just be satisfied with mediocrity this would all go so much smoother..."

It starts with just taking stock of what goes where.
Then you open things up and remove the stuff that doesn't make sense.
And that stuff starts to add up...
...and up and up. There was some crazy wiring done but we're fixing it all.
Having a headlamp is necessary when you cut the black wire and it all goes dark.
Meanwhile I decide to open a wall so that we can run power down to where it makes sense and to also get rid of the dropped ceiling as we're going to rerun some of the vents. I'm always amazed at the things I find when I tear into things. Mostly their bad things but sometimes, times like today, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Or in this case behind the wall. 

Ripping out sheet rock is fun - cleaning it up isn't. 
Hmm, no insulation in this exterior wall - that's smart.

Besides the cobwebs I see cracks of lights - and plants.

So I vacuum the walls and as I clean I see more light.

A window! Who covers over a window? Just amazing. Needless to say this will be uncovered and exposed and be a welcome source of light in the kitchen. 








No comments:

Post a Comment