Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sanding, sanding, leveling, sanding and... Painting!

This is just a post to document some of the work we've been doing to remove the stupid whitewash finish on the cedar ceilings. Oh, how I'd love to have a word with the person who painted it...


These wonderful lights will be replaced with something from my friend John Pomp. Hi John!
That doesn't look hopeful does it? 

JorgĂ© is an animal - but also very patient and persistent. 


All that ceiling is done - the wall, not yet.

It's really a lot of cedar...

Seriously, that's a lot of sanding.

This is but a fraction of what we've gone through - literally 5 vacuum bags so far and hundreds of pads.
The porch and area near the entrance had strange endless mortar and we had to jackhammer forever.
The latex primer goes down for the self leveler. 

And then the self leveler go downs so our floor is nice and smooth.








This area made some nice patterns but the pour was great. 
This was a gray that I found on one of the exposed beams - I took a sliver... 
...and had it matched exactly. It's a nice medium gray. 
Each beam is sanded down, knots and nail holes are filled with bondo and sanded again. 
And finally, finally I see something I can be thrilled about...


The black satin was a perfect choice - it shows the grain as a texture and pattern but looks amazing. 
And the first wall is done as well. The space between the ceiling boards I'm waiting to see how I feel about it. 




2 comments:

  1. Awesome job but and I know know what is ahead of me in our mid-century modern here in Honolulu. Luckily most of our interior is still raw redwood but its a calico of jobs started and never finished from the previous owner. The black beams really nail it to the period and next summer when the family is traveling I think that's what I'm gonna tackle. Great blog! Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really hard working but the result is amazing. I wish I have once for my living room
    Belt Sander HQ

    ReplyDelete