Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Bench Testing

So the downstairs bath was a success and so was the updated method of posting on the blog. Now I can pick up the pace here. Since this isn't Garage Journal I'll sort of skim over the bench and cabinets I made for the shop and post a few photos of them. It was a good experience and turned out great and refreshed my laminating skills and improved my joinery techniques.

I kick it old school with actual pencil and paper.




The bench top is a torsion box that is cantilevered off a shallow storage box that is hidden behind two rolling drawer chests. A veritable piƱata of challenges in one project.







So this also marked the end of my use of standard grade plywood and the move to full, Russian baltic birch ply which is so much better I don't think I'll ever go back. It's beyond the lack of needing edge banding, it cuts nicer, has a thicker out veneer and is just plain pleasant to work with. All my woodworking boxes now fit in these rolling carts. Jigs and larger rails fit behind and are hidden. It's very nice and it came out perfect to the millimeter.


No comments:

Post a Comment