Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cabinets add Nauseum

I'm sure I've mentioned it more than once but if you're interested in keeping up with this in a more frequent and detailed way I have a build thread on the Garage Journal website that I update very regularly. It's interactive and this is... well, I was going to say for my family but only my sister has actually read it. Rumor has it my Mom was sent the link again so just in case...

Hi Mom!

Umm, okay, back to cabinets. When we last left off I had built one test cabinet for the garage and it came out well. So now to build the rest of the cabinets for the garage to make sure I could do better and really get my chops down.


I'm going to try a new way of inserting the images instead of uploading them - hopefully it works better for me. So, lots and lots of plywood was cut up, edge banded and sanded.



I even put my old man to work sanding. I found that like most things it's easy to be good and difficult to be great but I kept my nose to the grind stone, asked a lot of questions and read an absolutely stupid amount of books, articles and websites on building cabinets. I'm like a sponge for new information.



I ended up building 9 cabinets for the garage. Not because it took that many to get right but because I have a LOT of garage stuff and tools - my shop is a serious shop for complete fabrication of anything you can imagine so there's copious amounts of things to store.


Here's a bank of them poly'd and hung but without the doors.


And then with the doors. They're simple and strong and a great test for the upcoming kitchen. Surely I'm ready to do the kitchen right? Oh, no, there's still more skill building to do. Well, that and waiting for cash to buy the needed supplies.




No comments:

Post a Comment